Berkeley’s 19 Things I Learned by 19

Last month I turned the big one-nine! I spent my birthday with my friend who also has the same birthday as me as well as a few of our closest friends. As it is spring break and almost the end of my first year here at Berkeley, it got me thinking… I have always wanted to have a YouTube channel and I really enjoy the videos that reflect on (insert age number here) things I learned by (insert same age number here), so here goes:

1. Time flies when you’re having fun: I can not believe we only have six weeks left of spring semester. I feel like yesterday was move-in day and I’m saying bye to my family until December. Then winter break was over and I was saying bye to my family until May. I made a ton of great friends this year, and I’m going to be sad when we’re all not living in the residence halls together next year.
  2. Cherish your family and old friends: After high school, I stayed really close with a few friends from back home. We still text each other to chat about our problems, mainly boy problems, but sometimes it was just nice to get a taste of back home and life before college. I really want to find more time to call my parents and friends from back home.
  3. Time management: Know when to separate “fun time” and “work time.” This is a skill you have to learn when you first come to college.
  4. Take time for yourself: School can be stressful and you want to make sure you don’t overwork yourself, so do take time for self-care and wellness.
  5. Sometimes you won’t get the grades you’re hoping for, and that’s ok: I feel like a big difference from high school and college is that in college one test can count for 30% of your grade. If this test goes poorly, it may feel like the end of the world, but it isn’t. There are many ways to improve for the next test!
  6. Join clubs: I have met some of my best friends through clubs here at Berkeley. We have similar interests and passions so we get along really well.
  7. Go to the library: I love going to the library to study because I get so much work done. It’s super fun to try studying in all 27 of the different libraries on campus.
  8. It’s ok to eat alone: I used to hate eating alone because I always felt awkward, but it’s actually nice to sit and contemplate life.
  9. Make plans with people: In order to maintain friendships with people from other residence halls, actively ask them to hang out: go to the library together or get dinner together!
  10. Have late night conversations: I feel like these kinds of conversations are the best kind: they’re super real and you get to learn to much about people.
  11. Take risks: This is what college is for! Step outside of your comfort zone and try new things! Take the class you’re interested in or join the club you’ve always wanted to join!
  12. Go to events on campus: Take advantage of all of the amazing events that happen at UC Berkeley. Get a group of friends and go!
  13. Get off social media every once in a while: I feel like I’m always on social media and this is something I need to work on so that I can enjoy everything that’s going on around me.
  14. Hike the Big C: A group of friends and I hiked this trail at night time and it was a gorgeous view. 10/10 would recommend before graduation.
  15. Go to the top of the Campanile: I’ve been to the top of the Campanile twice now and you can see 360 degree views of Berkeley and the Bay: so pretty.
  16. Explore San Francisco and the Bay Area: DO THIS. There are so many things to do in San Francisco and the Bay Area! I went to my first cat café in San Francisco a few weeks ago!
  17. Eat out every once in a while: Try some of the amazing restaurants nearby Berkeley’s campus. This is something that I need to do more often!
  18. Stay in every once in a while: Everyone loves a chill movie night with friends! Think of innovative ways you can have fun and relax at the same time.
  19. HAVE FUN: These four years are going to fly by! Make the most of them!
This entry was posted in campus life on by .
Rachel Lin

About Rachel Lin

Hi y'all! My name is Rachel and I am a current first-year student studying Political Science and Business. I am originally from the great state of Maryland and I have a ton of Maryland and California spirit! In addition to being a Campus Ambassador, I am involved in the Associated Students of the University of California (ASUC), Residence Hall Assembly, and am the Housing Chair for the 2018 PACURH Regional Business Conference. In my free time, I love watching the TV show Survivor, as well as shopping, hiking, and swimming. I was super nervous leaving my hometown to attend Cal, but I can truly say that I love it here! Go Bears!