The End of the Semester

WOW! This week is the last week of instructional class, which means… FINALS. Every professor is ending their class with the sentimental, “I’m so happy to have taught you all this semester, if you ever need anything, please feel free to reach out to me.” With the school year coming to an end, my clubs are ending as well. Some clubs I can still participate in next year, but others, like Hall Association, is a year-long position in the student government of my residence hall. In the class I take for Resident Assistant (RA) training, we talked a lot about how change is a good and healthy thing. Even though I am sad that my first semester here at Berkeley is over, I am excited for the changes that are occurring.

It is crazy to think that just one year ago, I was stressed about college decisions, prom dates, AP exams, and high school graduation. I scroll through my Instagram and see all of my high school senior friends dealing with the same things I was going through just one year ago. I look through my Facebook feed and see graduation pictures of peers who are graduating from UC Berkeley in a few weeks. I feel an interesting set of emotions looking at these two huge life moments of my peers. It truly amazes me how fast time flies by. Four years of high school feel like centuries ago and I feel like four years at Berkeley are going to fly by just the same.

People say that high school is the best four years of your life, but college is for sure the best four years of your life. Coming to Berkeley, I have grown so much as a person. Being surrounded by so many unique people coming from many different walks of life, I now view life and the world so differently. Moving across the country, I am definitely more independent…*gasp* maybe this is what “adulting” feels like. I honestly am bummed that my first year at Berkeley is ending. Next year, I will no longer see my amazing floor-mates every day because everybody is going their separate ways in terms of housing. I 100% want to keep the friendships I made this year and am very excited to meet new people and join new clubs next semester.

This past weekend was Cal Day, where thousands of admitted students, their families, and members of the community came to Berkeley to explore everything that we have to offer here. Seeing so many excited admitted students on this day made me really excited for the future. Everyone was bright eyed and bushy tailed. This also reminded me of how that was me one year ago… and now I am getting old. Overall, even though this is the end of the semester, I am excited for the changes to come. Even though things are ending, a lot of doors and opportunities are opening in everyone’s lives.

This entry was posted in campus life on by .
Rachel Lin

About Rachel Lin

Hi y'all! My name is Rachel and I am a current first-year student studying Political Science and Business. I am originally from the great state of Maryland and I have a ton of Maryland and California spirit! In addition to being a Campus Ambassador, I am involved in the Associated Students of the University of California (ASUC), Residence Hall Assembly, and am the Housing Chair for the 2018 PACURH Regional Business Conference. In my free time, I love watching the TV show Survivor, as well as shopping, hiking, and swimming. I was super nervous leaving my hometown to attend Cal, but I can truly say that I love it here! Go Bears!