Life as a Premedical Student

If you are a premedical student like me, then trust me, I understand how overwhelming it can be at times. Sometimes, you may feel lost or do not know if you are on the right track or not. I can completely relate, and this is also why I would like to share some of my tips and tricks as to how to prepare for the medical school application process.

1.  Join a prehealth/premedical organization! There are an abundant of clubs/organizations on campus, and by joining a club pertaining to what you would like to do in the future, you can gain more knowledge and experience in the field that you are passionate in! In my own experience, I joined a club called Peer Health Exchange, and because of this organization, I am able to travel to underserved high schools in the area to teach ninth graders on different health topics. Not only does this opportunity allow me to be involved with the community, it also allows me to become more familiar with healthcare fields. More exposure to these fields allows me to determine what I would like to do in the future.
  2.  Find clinical experience! With clinical experience, you would be able to have hands-on experience and also a better overview as to what you may be doing in the future. For example, you could contact a nearby hospital in the area and ask if they have a shadowing or volunteer program in which you could be involved in. Moreover, this is also a great way to meet new people in the field and network with them.
  3.  Prepare for the MCAT! Start early if you can. There are multiple ways to study for the MCAT. Some students take classes, while others choose to study on their own. Everyone is different, so find the best way that works for you!
  4. Form study groups with friends in those premedical classes! Berkeley classes can be challenging at times, especially those premedical prerequisite classes, This is why I suggest forming study groups with people who are in your tough classes and studying together! Studying together is a great way to gain better insight of the material and discover new ways to understand the material.