Tag Archives: public transportation

License to Drive


It is notoriously well known that America is a country that depends on cars. If you want to travel around the Bay Area you could use the BART but to really take advantage of it, it is great to have a car. Unfortunately as an international student this poses a bit of a conundrum. Sure we can drive on our international licenses for 6 months but afterwards we need to get a license. Fortunately, though, the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) is located just a short bus ride away from campus. It took me a while to muster the strength to go give the various tests but there isn’t anything too difficult about the process. The only advice I would have is to know the rules! California has some driving rules that are different from other states and definitely very different from other countries. Having just very recently gotten my license, I am super excited to begin renting cars and going on road trips throughout the state, maybe even venturing outside of California. read more