Food for thought

As a relative “foodie” and someone who tries to buy local, organic foods, I thought I knew a thing or two about the food production and food systems that shape the current day. However, a course I am taking this semester, Environmental Science, Policy and Management (ESPM) 155: Sustenance and Sustainability: the Social and Political Ecology of Agro-Food Systems, has challenged me to delve deeper into issues of food production, food security, and food justice.

This course has motivated me to think more deeply about what constitutes “organic” and “sustainable,” both in definition and in practice. It has allowed me to learn much of the history that has led to the way that agricultural systems are run currently, as the agriculture sector has become industrialized and internationalized. It has enabled me to learn more about how agricultural workers along the food production line are treated, and what protections, or lack thereof, are available to them. And it has empowered me take what I have learned and apply it to the food I buy and eat and the life I live as a Cal student.

ESPM 155 has allowed us to learn about food and food systems in a very interactive way. Everyone in the class went on a field trip to the Gill Tract, a UC Berkeley-owned plot of land that is used as a community garden. There we got to clear rows, put down topsoil, and grow some vegetables, giving us a very small taste of life as an agricultural worker.

10407626_10154733823545187_7960771713230726974_n     10486809_10154733822730187_6165484317728497809_n

I have found that this class has increased relevance to my peers and me as Cal students, because Berkeley and the Bay Area overall are very food-conscious areas, full of people and movements that care deeply about how food is produced, where it comes from, and how those who are involved in the food-production process are treated. The Slow Food Movement, a movement away from fast food and towards local, organic food, has been championed and written about by Michael Pollan, who is a Berkeley professor in the School of Journalism.

Learning about where food comes from, how it is grown, and how the people involved in the production process are treated is something that has become very important to me, and taking this class has motivated me to explore more about food justice and production.

Author: Alyssa

Hi! My name is Alyssa and I am a junior here at UC Berkeley studying English and Peace and Conflict Studies. Within English, I’m very interested in 19th and 20th American and British literature, though I’ve been known to quote Shakespeare from time to time. Within Peace and Conflict Studies (PACS as it’s usually called), I’m very interested in food security and human rights relating to food and wellbeing. I have been a Campus Ambassador for about 7 months now and absolutely love it – I get to talk about Cal all day long! In addition to being a tour guide, I’m involved with a couple of other awesome groups on campus. I am the Director of Publicity for the UC Rally Committee, which is a spirit organization that puts on spirit events and rallies for the campus and attends lots of sporting events. I also sing in the UC Women’s Chorale and tutor writing a couple times a month at Berkeley High School. In my free time here at Cal, I love to hang out with my friends, sing and play piano, and try new food places around Berkeley (there are so many delicious options!). I’m so happy to be a Golden Bear!