Newsies, the Musical

One of the best aspects of UC Berkeley’s location is its proximity to San Francisco, located just 15 miles and half an hour away by public transportation. In addition to being home to the Golden Gate Bridge, amazing food places, and beautiful beaches, San Francisco is also a culturally rich city with many museums and performance centers.

10974721_913135468730854_4644866986092562601_o

IMG_6387This past Saturday, I went with friends to see Disney’s Production of Newsies, in the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco. It was an incredible performance! I was blown away by the choreography—the split jumps, aerials, and high-energy kicks—the funny storyline, and the talented singing and acting. For almost the entire musical, I was leaning forward on the tip of my balcony seat, eagerly soaking in everything happening on the stage below.

Newsies_Florence and Jane

I adored the way Stephanie Styles portrayed Katherine, the feisty journalist chronicling the Newsboys’ strike in New York. She had the audience laughing heartily and cheering for her with her witty comebacks and independent spirit. She perfectly complemented Dan DeLuca’s character Jack Kelly, and his bold, brazen demeanor.

We all really enjoyed the performance. I could definitely see why Newsies won the 2012 Tony Awards for best score and best choreography! In cheerful, song-filled moods following the show, my friends and I hummed “Santa Fe” and “Carrying the Banner” (songs from the musical) on the BART ride back to Berkeley.

Author: Jane

Hello! My name is Jane, and I’m a senior majoring in Psychology and Public Health. Originally from Davis, CA, I love adventure and exploring new places. I’ve traveled to six continents, and most recently spent this past summer in Madagascar hanging out with lemurs! In addition to giving tours of UC Berkeley, I’m also involved with research at the Golden Bear Sleep and Mood Research Clinic, planning events for the Regents’ and Chancellor’s Scholars Association, and providing anonymous peer support for SPILL. In my spare time, I enjoy playing piano and violin, swimming, lounging in sunny spots around campus, and hiking the Berkeley hills. Cal is a dynamic, inspiring place, and I’m constantly excited by the opportunities here for learning, growth, and discovery. Go Bears!