Cal Spirit and Sports!

Stepping onto the UC Berkeley campus for even just a minute, it’s easy to see the school spirit filling Sproul Plaza and Cal’s hallowed halls. Whether it’s the blue and gold gear students don, the “go bears!” offered to friends walking by, or active participation in school spirit events, Cal pride is a very palpable thing.

Attending sporting events is one way I, along with many of my fellow Cal students, immerse ourselves in this tangibly thrilling spirit. One of my favorite teams to support has been Cal Women’s Basketball. Our women’s team reached the NCAA Final Four in the 2012-2013 season, and has consistently demonstrated athletic prowess in the seasons since. Women’s senior Reshanda Gray was just honored with the PAC-12 Player of the Year award, voted on by coaches in the conference, and four of her teammates, Brittney Boyd, Mikayla Cowling, Gabby Green, and Mercedes Jefflo, also received honors from the PAC-12.

As a student attending these games, we become The Bench, the name of our student section and one of the most most dynamic, enthusiastic groups of student you can find. Haas Pavillion is electric whenever students show up to support, sing along with Cal Band, and heckle the other teams. The players, along with Head Coach Lindsay Gotlieb, often show up to events to tell the students how much their support means, and note the electrifying energy and how much it energizes them against rivals and in tough games.

11053892_10202562211175488_5522278873738816826_n           1620359_10200541684623587_719457558_n

This season, the women’s team finished the regular season with an incredible 23-8, with a 13-5 record in PAC-12 play. The team had some pretty exciting wins. On Sunday, February 8,Penina Davidson helped the Bears beat Arizona State 50-49 in the final seconds of the game. After a tough loss to Stanford in Berkeley a few days before, the women came out against the Cardinal in full force on Sunday, February 22, and topped Stanford 63-53.

And most recently, our women’s team reached the PAC-12 Championship game, and played a great game: the team fell just a bit short to Stanford, 61-60, after Jefflo’s last-attempt basket came a little too late.

It was a tough loss, to a time-honored rival in the final seconds of a championship game.
But the silver lining (or I guess “gold lining” might be a more apt description)? School spirit is undefeated.

Check out these two articles about the women’s recent successes, in tournament play as well as within members of the team:

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=209922500

Cal women’s basketball falls to Stanford in Pac-12 championship game in narrow 61-60 loss

Author: Alyssa

Hi! My name is Alyssa and I am a junior here at UC Berkeley studying English and Peace and Conflict Studies. Within English, I’m very interested in 19th and 20th American and British literature, though I’ve been known to quote Shakespeare from time to time. Within Peace and Conflict Studies (PACS as it’s usually called), I’m very interested in food security and human rights relating to food and wellbeing. I have been a Campus Ambassador for about 7 months now and absolutely love it – I get to talk about Cal all day long! In addition to being a tour guide, I’m involved with a couple of other awesome groups on campus. I am the Director of Publicity for the UC Rally Committee, which is a spirit organization that puts on spirit events and rallies for the campus and attends lots of sporting events. I also sing in the UC Women’s Chorale and tutor writing a couple times a month at Berkeley High School. In my free time here at Cal, I love to hang out with my friends, sing and play piano, and try new food places around Berkeley (there are so many delicious options!). I’m so happy to be a Golden Bear!