The Importance of Theater

As an avid anglophile and a theater enthusiast, the chance to see BareStage’s “The Importance of Being Earnest” was not an opportunity I wanted to turn down.

BareStage, the oldest student-run theater group on the Berkeley campus, puts on a play and a musical each semester, and has an improve group and a show choir. As a student, it is incredibly exciting to go out an see my peers showcase their talents, and it becomes more exciting when some of my friends are involved, as was the case with this show.

“The Importance of Being Earnest” centers around two brothers, Algernon Moncrieff and Jack Worthing, who ply after the woman of their dreams, but both under the name Ernest. This doubling provides for much dramatic irony and laughter for the audience, and the cast delivery of the Oscar Wilde adages was quite superb.

12043152_913779955379289_4590374137840217706_n

The show took place in the Choral Rehearsal Hall, a small, blackbox-style theater below the Student Learning Center on campus, making it an incredible accessible location for students. The cast and the crew transformed the hall into a gazebo-style set, and worked hard for 6 weeks prior to opening night to make the show fantastic.

Especially this year, as a graduating senior, I am striving to take advantage of all of the phenomenal arts community events that Berkeley and its diversity offers to the student body. Berkeley showcases dozens of theater, music, and dance groups on campus, and oftentimes even just strolling through Sproul Plaza gives students and the community a taste of the vibrant Berkeley arts community. This brilliant performance did not disappoint.

Author: Alyssa

Hi! My name is Alyssa and I am a junior here at UC Berkeley studying English and Peace and Conflict Studies. Within English, I’m very interested in 19th and 20th American and British literature, though I’ve been known to quote Shakespeare from time to time. Within Peace and Conflict Studies (PACS as it’s usually called), I’m very interested in food security and human rights relating to food and wellbeing. I have been a Campus Ambassador for about 7 months now and absolutely love it – I get to talk about Cal all day long! In addition to being a tour guide, I’m involved with a couple of other awesome groups on campus. I am the Director of Publicity for the UC Rally Committee, which is a spirit organization that puts on spirit events and rallies for the campus and attends lots of sporting events. I also sing in the UC Women’s Chorale and tutor writing a couple times a month at Berkeley High School. In my free time here at Cal, I love to hang out with my friends, sing and play piano, and try new food places around Berkeley (there are so many delicious options!). I’m so happy to be a Golden Bear!