Stomach Happy, Life Healthy

My sophomore year was a make-it-or-break-it year. I’ll soon find out if I qualify for my two majors,  Media Studies and Political Economy. It has been a very busy year for me; I’m studying extra hard to make sure I get good grades to declare. In the midst of studying diligently, I didn’t eat as healthy as I could have. I started eating more Chinese takeout, cooking Spam and fried eggs for almost every meal, and sometimes I only had  pastries and mocha drinks. Looking back at my year, I was sad that I didn’t get around to cook better meals, since I love cooking and baking. I just always viewed cooking something more wholesome than a Spam with rice meal as sacrificing  study time (although I have to admit that my urge to procrastinate did play a role in my apparent lack of time for studies)

But now that it is summer, I finally have more time to cook! So, once I handed in my last final exam, I was full with excitement to head back home, lie down on my bed, and prop up my laptop with my favorite YouTube channels: Tasty and Laura in the Kitchen. After I watched several videos and listed down the necessary ingredients, I hoped on the AC Transit’s 49 bus and went to Safeway in Oakland, about 10 minutes away.

Baked Chicken Stuffed with Spinach and Cheese

I have to say that my goal is not only to have fun cooking and eating, but it is important for me to get back to healthy eating habits. So, I have been cooking delicious and healthy meals that have kept my stomach happy, but more importantly, my nutrition is in much better  condition a compared to during the school year.

Rani's Salmon and Spinach
Salmon with Stir-fried Spinach and Tomato

I’m happy not only to experiment with different dishes again, but also to develop a habit of eating more home-cooked meals, as opposed to greasy take-out and processed food. There’s also a great sense of accomplishment when I tackle challenging recipes. I feel good, knowing that I’m using fresh vegetables and meat and that I can control what I eat and how much I eat.

Rani's Chicken Alfredo Pasta
Chicken Spinach Alfredo Pasta

It was a tough year for me, but I know that summer is my opportunity to relax, eat good food, and go back to a healthy lifestyle. It is also my chance to polish my time management skills and plan my life accordingly to keep a healthy lifestyle. I’ll be heading to the Stadium Fitness Center more and hiking the fire trails behind Clark Kerr Campus (one of the residence hall complexes here at Cal), as I balance being a UC Berkeley Campus Ambassador, Planetarium Presenter at the Lawrence Hall of Science and taking online classes. It’s going to be a busy summer, but I know that I will have a lot of fun! I’m off to a great start with these tasty meals, and I hope to keep up this good routine and lifestyle.

Rani Chan

Author: Rani Chan

Hi there! My name is Rani Chan. I’m a sophomore double majoring in Media Studies and Political Economy, and I’m also an international student from the Philippines. I really love food! I love to eat, cook, and go on food trips. Also, I love traveling, watching films and musicals, acting, dancing, singing (in the shower), and learning new languages. In addition to being a Campus Ambassador, I am a Planetarium Presenter at the Lawrence Hall of Science, where I get to share my love for Astronomy. I’m also part of the Cal Archery Club, hoping to become the next girl Robin Hood. I’m truly blessed to be a Golden Bear, and to be in an environment where I always feel welcomed and where I’m constantly learning, discovering, and being a better me. There’s no place I’d rather be than here at Berkeley. I’m very excited to share my Cal stories with you! Go Bears!