Celebrating the California Culture

Homecoming is many things –It’s about tradition. It’s about family. It’s about community. It’s a celebration of all the people involved in our community, including the many different cultures. This Homecoming Week is a bit different from the past. Rather than having a simple “Homecoming Rally,” the UC Rally Committee has decided to switch things up and brand the new “California Culture Rally.”

UC Berkeley has more than 100 student organizations that are culturally based, and this rally is intended to offer groups like these the chance to showcase their cultures and traditions. This year one of my clubs, Cal Hawai’i Club will be performing. For us, this is the largest scale event we’ve ever performed at. Cal Hawai’i is one of only two Polynesian organizations on campus.

For us this performance means a lot. It’s a chance to share a very underrepresented group on campus, and a chance to spread the wonderful stories behind this culture. In honor of the high energy of football team, Cal Hawai’i will be performing two high-energy and classic Polynesian dances: The Samoan “Sasa” and the Tahitian “Otea” Both are intended to display the aspects of every day life, respective to those cultures. The “Sasa” specifically begins with a “talofa,” a classic greeting in Polynesian culture.

So with the start of Homecoming Week, I’ll sign off with this greeting as we celebrate our campus history and California Culture. Talofa!

Leeza Cruz

Author: Leeza Cruz

Hi everyone! My name is Leeza and I am a junior studying Economics and Legal Studies, with a minor in music! I am a very spirited person, and a big fan of sports. If you're ever trying to find me, I'm probably watching a game. I hope to eventually work in the Sports Industry in the future! But aside for my love for athletics, I am also very passionate about equity and inclusion. Berkeley is full of so many different diverse cultures, and I am always open to sharing and learning new perspectives. From my perspectives of the game, to my involvement in the community, I can't wait to share my experiences with you all!