Making the Most of Your Berkeley Experience: Concert Addition

One of my favorite things about attending UC Berkeley is that we all get to live in a city environment, as opposed to exclusively a college town or something similar. On top of that, we have the extraordinary privilege of having the city of San Francisco a free public bus ride or a twenty minute BART ride away. Basically, there is simply no excuse to ever be bored here. If, for some incredulous reason you do find a way to get bored, I have one word for you: CONCERTS!

Concerts are something that you never regret attending, especially if you find an amazing concert for a great price.This is usually pretty doable in the Bay Area, particularly because there are so many different venues to choose from. Here is a play by play of some of the best venues the Bay has to offer:

Fox Theater – Oakland (pictured above)

• This is by far my favorite venue. With cheap GA tickets, amazing artists, and not too much press, you will be able to sneak your way up to front row and see some of you favorite bands perform live. I have been to three concerts here and my favorite concert of all time – Bleachers – was at this venue.

Slim’s – San Francisco

• This is the smallest venue I have ever been to; it is a cute little jazz club in the city. For some of your favorite low-key artists, and for tickets usually under $30, there is simply no going wrong with this venue. (PSA: There is a Costco about two blocks down and I would definitely recommend eating an elegant dinner there beforehand).

Oracle Arena – Oakland

• While this is definitely the biggest venue I have been to, some of the coolest artists come here. I saw Ed Sheeran here over the summer, and even though my seats were fairly far away from the stage, they did a great job with the screens and the acoustics to make you feel closer than you really were. They have some wonderful bands coming in the next six months — definitely check out who is coming soon.

Greek Theater – Berkeley

• We have our very own venue, about a one minute walk away from our campus, and it’s an incredibly cool venue at that. While admittedly, I have only watched performers here from Cheap Skate Hill, some truly incredible performers grace this stage with their presence. I’m pretty sure that every student at every other college across the nation was extremely jealous when Chance came here last semester. Odesza is this Thursday – let’s get pumped!!!

As students here, we have incredibly easy access to all of these venues. Concerts are worth the money they cost because they are an amazing experience, and experiences are what you will remember from your college years. An experience that I will never forget is going to three concerts in five days – the same week that I had two midterms. While it likely wasn’t the most logical decision, I had an absolute blast at all three, I did well on my midterms, and it was a week I will never forget. Going to Berkeley is rigorous and often stressful, and our schedules are non-stop for four years. So, balance within our academic, extracurricular, and social lives is of the utmost importance. I think a lot of us forget that having fun and making memories should also be a priority; these are the best four years of our lives, so let’s enjoy them!

Annie Hatton

Author: Annie Hatton

My name is Annie Hatton, and I am a third year majoring in Legal Studies here at the incredible UC Berkeley. My life as a golden bear is busy and fantastic; whether its teaching the DeCal on human rights, serving as president of my sorority, or giving tours, I have enjoyed every minute of my time here at Cal. I am originally from Orange County, but because of these few years I am absolutely certain that I never want to leave the Bay. Most importantly, I am an avid dog lover - and to prove it I have eight dogs back home.