Ways to Destress and Feel Good about Yourself

It is no secret that college students are busy. These days, there are so many things that are expected from us. Not only do we have to stay on top of homework assignments, projects, essays, and other deadlines, we also have to allot time in our crazy schedules for studying. Otherwise, we would be in danger of falling behind, which would be stressful when midterm seasons roll around. Although this challenge allows us to grow and become stronger versions of ourselves, sometimes, it can be quite overwhelming. We become so caught up in the workload that we forget to take care of ourselves. Taking care of ourselves is extremely vital. In my opinion, our mental health is as important, if not more, than our physical health.

It is always a good idea to take some time each day to destress and relax, especially if you know you have just completed a tiring day filled with brutal classes and/or midterms. Of course, there are numerous ways in which one can wind down after a long day. Below are ten of my favorite ways to destress and feel good about myself.

1. Take a walk/jog outside. This is one of my absolute favorite things to do in Berkeley. I have always loved the beauty of our campus, and sometimes, if I were having a bad day, a walk would be just what I needed to remind me of how lucky I am to be attending UC Berkeley. Furthermore, a bit of fresh air and cool breeze never hurts.
  2. Read a book. This used to be something I would do every single day. Unfortunately, I became extremely busy and swamped with schoolwork that I have not had the time to read a good book in a very long time. What I love most about reading is that if I am absorbed in a book, I would forget about reality and all of my worries. I really do miss that feeling.
  3. Bake! I love food. Enough said.
  4. Write/Draw in a journal. When I am overwhelmed by my emotions, I like to write down everything that I am thinking or feeling in a notebook. It is a nice way to take off some of the burden from my shoulders and feel more at ease.
  5. Hangout with friends. Travel somewhere! Take a day trip to San Francisco! You deserve it.
  6. Watch your favorite television show. Pop a bag of popcorn and snuggle into your most comfortable blanket. Trust me, this could be even better than watching a movie at the movie theater.
  7. Call a friend/family member. This is a wonderful way to show your loved ones how much you appreciate them and how much you are thankful that they are in your lives.
  8. Clean your room. Do it with your favorite music in the background. This can be surprisingly therapeutic. I know that I always feel refreshed and energized after tossing out all of the trash in my room and reorganizing items in my drawers.
  9. Explore a new restaurant/coffee shop. Maybe the novelty of this experience would be just what you needed to recharge and get back into your routine.
  10. Color! I love coloring! I used to be obsessed with coloring books when I was a kid. There is just something satisfying about coloring inside the lines and filling in the spaces.

It is normal feel overwhelmed at times. What is important is to take some time out of each of our days to show some self-love. It really does not matter what you choose to do, as long as you do something for your self-care. Your mind and body will thank you for this.

Alice Kane

Author: Alice Kane

Hi-ya! I'm Alice, a third-year undergraduate student studying both English and Conservation and Resource Studies here at the University of California. I grew up in the bay area and always dreamed of coming Cal - and here I am! Studying two completely different fields of study can be challenging, but it's an unbelievably rewarding experience. I get to learn about the world from some of the most brilliant professors, from both a scientific and artistic perspective! In the times I'm not studying, you can find me writing, reading, and/or eating at the Free Speech Movement Cafe or on memorial glade, spending time with good friends, at a national park, or petting dogs on Sproul! Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you around campus sometime soon. Go Bears!