Who are you

I think one of the most important questions in college is to figure out who you are. I’m personally from a very sexist region. When I was young, people constantly told me that because I’m a girl, I would never achieve great things. Even though I tried really hard during high school and got into Berkeley, I still don’t have a lot of confidence in myself.

During the first week of school, I saw so many people going to different social events. I was scared. I am not a very social person and I tend to be very shy when I meet people for the first time. However, I thought I was supposed to follow the crowds and pretend that I’m a social person in order to join as many events as possible.

I ignored a very important factor. When I was trying to follow other people, I wasn’t presenting my original identity to other people. As a result, I didn’t enjoy any social events that I went. I started to panic even more often because I wasn’t able to be “social” enough, and I thought no one would want to make friends with me.

As I spent more time at Cal, I figure out that sometimes it’s okay to be different from other people. Not everyone has to be social because there will always be someone that loves reading books, just like me. As long as I know who I am and be myself, I will make friends with myself first and gradually I will make friends with other people. College life is about enjoying doing what you like and finding people who love doing the same things as you do.

Now that I learn to appreciate my identity, I’m gaining more and more confidence. Indeed I am not perfect. I’m not a straight-A student and I’m very bad at my English classes. But I appreciate the fact that I’m a girl who used to try hard and get in one of the best universities in the world. Even though college life is not gonna be easy, I should always be original and keep my courage deep in my heart to face everyday’s life. Now I know, every golden bear is different, but we all have things that we love and we will hold on to them from the beginning to the end.

So be positive, be firm and be courageous.

Alice Kane

Author: Alice Kane

Hi-ya! I'm Alice, a third-year undergraduate student studying both English and Conservation and Resource Studies here at the University of California. I grew up in the bay area and always dreamed of coming Cal - and here I am! Studying two completely different fields of study can be challenging, but it's an unbelievably rewarding experience. I get to learn about the world from some of the most brilliant professors, from both a scientific and artistic perspective! In the times I'm not studying, you can find me writing, reading, and/or eating at the Free Speech Movement Cafe or on memorial glade, spending time with good friends, at a national park, or petting dogs on Sproul! Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you around campus sometime soon. Go Bears!