Can I Get a “Go Bears”?

There are so many amazing things about Berkeley – the people, the campus, the city, the school spirit, and more – and if you’re a Campus Ambassador (also known as a tour guide) you get to talk about all of them on a weekly basis.

A lot of people look for campus jobs as soon as they get to Cal. While there are a ton of jobs around the city of Berkeley because there are so many restaurants and stores, there is no doubt that on-campus jobs are extremely convenient. Luckily, there is a plethora of on-campus jobs available. You can work in a library, as a tutor for the Student Learning Center, and so much more. However, I am here to argue that the best job of all is the job in which you get to meet people from all over the world and tell them why Cal is the best school in the universe. Plus, you get the title of “campus ambassador” and get to wear a pretty snazzy grey jacket.

I started this job with incredible eagerness to be the best tour guide that have ever existed, and I feel as though even in my third year in this job, I still am able to carry that same enthusiasm. And that is truly because it is the best job a college student could ask for. I get to perfect my walking backwards skills and interact with potential students, parents, and tourists from all over the world.

The first summer after you’re hired, one of the requirements of the jobs is that you stay in Berkeley for the summer. I am so glad that that was one of the requirements because it was one of the best summers of my life. I got to work for Visitor and Parent Services almost every day, I took two classes, and I had a paid internship in which I was able to work from home. I also lived with two other campus ambassadors, and we went on countless adventures. Also, Berkeley during the summer is so much more relaxed than it is during the packed school year, and I’m very glad I got to experience the vibe of Berkeley summers.

But my absolute favorite part of my job is at the end of every tour, when I get to share my Berkeley story. Like I already mentioned, I toured the school my sophomore year of high school and I fell in love. The day that they were releasing the Berkeley admissions decisions (of course it was the last Thursday in March after all of the other UC’s let you know), my mom and I went prom dress shopping to distract myself. We ended up in the Apple Store just refreshing the admissions page over and over again. We ended up leaving, and on the drive home I checked my phone, and before I even read any words on the screen, I saw confetti and immediately started crying tears of joy. I had just gotten into the number one public school in the world, and through my job as a campus ambassador, I continue to appreciate how lucky I am every single day.

Annie Hatton

Author: Annie Hatton

My name is Annie Hatton, and I am a third year majoring in Legal Studies here at the incredible UC Berkeley. My life as a golden bear is busy and fantastic; whether its teaching the DeCal on human rights, serving as president of my sorority, or giving tours, I have enjoyed every minute of my time here at Cal. I am originally from Orange County, but because of these few years I am absolutely certain that I never want to leave the Bay. Most importantly, I am an avid dog lover - and to prove it I have eight dogs back home.