Staying Organized

College, especially Berkeley, can be very hectic and tiring. However, the best way to overcome all the stress and sleepless nights is by staying organized! And, you might say, how?

Here’s how:

1. Use Google Calendar or an equivalent of it.
    • When I was in my spring semester of freshman year, my friend in my Egyptian seminar was tidying up his calendar and adding new events. Curious, I looked over and asked him what he was doing. He said, “Kate, I’m adding this event I have on Friday, you don’t know what Google Calendar is?” I was embarrassed for not knowing this tool, which was apparently very important. After class, I decided to try out the application myself, and I immediately fell in love. It makes life way easier!! I repeat it makes your life much more organized and simple.
  2. Use post-it notes.
    • Use post-it notes as reminders of what you have to complete by the end of the day or by the end of the week! You can decorate them as you want, but make sure not to end up spending all your time making it look nice!
  3. Use a planner.
    • This is very similar to using a Google Calendar, but the planner is primarily used to keep track of any tasks you have! It’s a great way to jot down what homework you have due in the upcoming days!
  4. Designate time every day or almost every day for homework and studying.
    1. Reading and problem sets will only stack up if you do not keep up! I am learning this the hard way this semester. Once you fall behind, it is difficult to catch up, so make sure to stay organized so you don’t have to worry!
  5. Make sure to check your email every day!
    • As college students, we get many emails, spam and important. It is very crucial that you check your emails for any updates on upcoming events or internship opportunities! All your professors, GSIs, and professional contacts will use emails as their main mode of communication. Make sure to read them and respond back in a timely manner. It does not look good if you do not reply within the week.
  6. Keep track of which events you sign up for on Handshake, Facebook, etc.
    • In Berkeley, there are so many events every day! Too often, I have forgotten about this really cool event, which is happening… TODAY! Make sure to keep track of which events are happening by putting them in your planner or Google Calendar.
  7. Don’t over-commit!
    • There’s always going to be only one of you and many organizations and commitments. It is fine to pursue your interests, but every person has a physical limit on how many commitments they can handle at once. Do you stretch yourself thin and contribute to your stress. Instead, let your fellow club members know what is going on and do not be afraid to drop responsibilities. Your health always comes first!

Hopefully, these tips will help you stay above your workload! And always make sure to take breaks and make time for yourself!

Kate Im

Author: Kate Im

Hi, my name is Kate Im! I am currently a sophomore studying Political Science and Public Policy! I hope to become a public defender and fight for people's rights. On campus, I am a part of two clubs, ULHS and UPSA, and I also have two jobs, campus ambassador and program assistant at VSPA. When I'm not studying or working, I love to meet new people, play video games, drink an excess amount of boba, and listen to K-pop.