Get Involved!

What will you remember about your college experience once you graduate? What are the moments that will stick in your mind, and make you miss being a student? Maybe it’s the friendships formed over stress and one too many coffees, or maybe it’s the weekend excursions that you plan with your friends to get away for a little bit. For me, it’s the communities: the friends, the professional teams, and the project groups that I’ve formed, and the time I’ve spent dedicating to the things I don’t HAVE to do. In college, we all have to go to class, we all have to write that essay, and we all have to spend nights in libraries or studios perfecting our work. But for me, what really stands out is what I’ve learned to dedicate my free time to: the things I would do regardless of salary or wages, and the things that make me want to wake up in the morning and get out of the house rather than staying in my comfortable bed all day.

Getting involved on campus is an amazing way to find a purpose. Joining groups, becoming a student that works part-time, or volunteering elsewhere can be an amazing privilege, and can create memories and connections that will last a lifetime.

As an ambassador, I’ve been gifted with so many invaluable memories like these. By the time I graduate, I might forget a specific formula I learned my first year, and I might not be able to hold onto the specific dates and locations I studied all night for in history class. I might not remember the themes of some of the short stories I sat in my dorm bedroom reading, and I might not be able to recall the problems my math teacher told me to “never forget.” At the end of the day, my mind will hold on to the image of middle school students smiling ear to ear when looking at the Tyrannosaurus Rex bones on my campus tour, welcoming our new admissions director to Berkeley and giving a student’s point of view, driving around in the golf cart for hours at a time with fellow students delivering Cal Day promotional posters and flyers, and staffing the top of the Campanile on Homecoming Day to welcome hundreds of visitors to see the entire Bay Area. As an intern for the College of Environmental Design, I’ll remember giving presentations to high school students, professing my love for design and petitioning for them to love it too. As a member of the club soccer team, I’ll remember the weekend tournament trips and big team dinners, and as a Bear Talk blogger I’ll remember the impact my voice can have. I’ll remember the stories I have to tell, and I’ll remember the people I met along the way, all because I decided to dedicate my free time to being a part of something larger than myself.

Being a Berkeley student is an amazing opportunity, with so many communities to get lost in. As a student, you have the world at your feet, with so much to do, yet so little time: Strive to make your time here enjoyable, and make it a period of time that you can look back on and smile, knowing that you did everything you could to both give to your community and get the most out of your college experience.

Author: Sarah Dey

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Dey and I am currently a senior majoring in Architecture and minoring in Spanish Language and Literature! I am both a Campus Ambassador and a College of Environmental Design Ambassador, and I am the co-founder of a student-run design collective that aims to create community driven, innovative design projects that are geared towards social good and environmental responsibility. In my free time I love to ski, travel, and draw, and write about anything and everything. I was born and raised in the Bay Area, and I can tell you that there's no place I would rather be. GO BEARS <3