Spring Break in NYC? Here are Some Fun Things to Do!

I don’t know about you, but whenever I go to new places, I always want to do what the locals do. Yes, the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty are very cool to visit, but I always like to find the small pockets that show off a place’s quirks and uniqueness. If this sounds like you and you’re heading to New York City for spring break or anytime in the future, then this article is just for you! Growing up in Connecticut just a 45 minute train ride away, I have tons of places I love in New York city for all of you non-tourists. I hope you like them too!

#1 The Highline and Chelsea Market
The Highline is an elevated railroad-turned-park located on the west side. Since it’s high up, you get an absolutely perfect view of the city. The Highline has everything from pretty scenery to food carts along the way. I love going there with my friends because it’s a fun place to hang out and take pictures. It’s a definite must-do on my list!
Conveniently close to the Highline is Chelsea Market which has every kind of food imaginable. It is a big market with an unbelievable number of stops and stands. Just to show you how many choices you have, one of my friends brought me to her favorite spot: a Japanese-Mexican fusion place. I thought it was going to be terrible, but it was honestly one of the most amazing things I have ever eaten. I go back now almost every time I’m there.

Mexican-Japanese fusion bowl from Chelsea Market

My friends and I at the Highline

#2 Smorgasburg
If you like food (which you definitely do), Smorgasburg is for you! Over the winter, it takes place indoors in Brooklyn, but starting in April, it moves outdoors to Williamsburg and Prospect Park. It’s a market where a bunch of vendors come and set up booths. You can walk around and try all different kinds of food. They have everything from mozzerella sticks to dumplings to fish tacos. It’s really fun to go on weekends with friends, and you definitely won’t leave hungry!

Thumbs up for Smorgasburg!

#3 See a Broadway Show
Ok, so this one is pretty touristy, but one of my favorite things to do in the city. There are so many amazing shows out, and I would highly recommend seeing one. Some of my favorites are Wicked, Dear Evan Hansen, and Come From Away. All of them were so much fun to watch, and I love their soundtracks!

That’s all of my NYC wisdom for today- I hope you try some of these and enjoy!

Haley Stober

Author: Haley Stober

Hi everyone! My name is Haley, and I am a first year from Connecticut double majoring in Molecular and Cell Biology and Spanish. Outside of giving tours and writing for the blog I am part of a sorority, Crohn's and Colitis Awareness Society, Hillel, and Science in Oakland Elementary Schools. I'm excited to share my experiences with you, and as always go bears!