Life on the Glade

It’s a Friday during midterm season and although I have an essay due next week and four readings, I am sitting on Memorial Glade in front of Doe Library surrounded with my friends and I have no regrets. My books are open in front of me so that I can do my work, but that’s not what I am focusing on. I sometimes get the question “How do you have the time to hang out on the glade with friends?” and the answer is: We all have hard classes, when you ask your friends if they want to take a break on the glade, chances are they will be more than willing to hang out for a few hours.

My view on the glade

Some of us have laptops open in front of us because we have work due too soon to put it away for a couple hours. But no one is ever worried about anyone being uninvolved in the conversation because we all know the amount of homework we can have at different points during the semester. In fact, sitting in a group of friends, we all know that if anyone of us have a question about our homework, everyone else in the group who can help will.

Some of us are sitting here sunbathing because we want to relax and soak up the sun. We can sit here and talk to our friends while watching the others throw around frisbees that they checked out from the library. As far as relaxing goes, laying in the sun, surrounded by friends, gently laughing to yourself as you watch people wobble as they try to step around the university seal on the sidewalk next to you, this is about as relaxing as sitting alone on a beach.

I, myself, am both doing work and sunbathing. There’s nothing stopping me from doing both and if I can choose to relax while doing homework, I will. I work hard during the week so that during the weekend I can relax. Even if that means I do my work more slowly while I’m sitting in the sun.

Berkeley can be hard and you will hear people talk a lot about how they have no time to relax. But the important thing to know is that you can make time to relax, one way or another.

Jazz Van Horn

Author: Jazz Van Horn

I'm a sophomore majoring in economics and political science and minoring in German. In my free time when I'm not studying or giving tours, I am part of multiple clubs on campus and I love creative writing. A fun fact about me is that I'm trying to study at every library on campus.