Senior Year Bucket List

While this bucket list absolutely applies to every Golden Bear, it is of the utmost importance that every student in their last semester or last year does these five things before they graduate. While there could probably be a list of about five hundred things to do in the bay before our time is up, I chose five that mean a lot to me and are some of the best ways to spend your time here.

1. The Campanile

Look at those views! I have met way too many seniors that decided to take their first trip up to the top of the Campanile during the finals week of their last semester. That is simply unacceptable! A ride to the top is free for us while everyone else has to pay, and it there is no way it’s too far out of the way when you’re heading to or back from class. This is one of the best parts of our campus, as is being able to see everything from a bird’s eye view including the cities of Berkeley, Oakland, and San Francisco and the infamous Bay and Golden Gate Bridges. Plus, our tower is twenty two feet taller than Stanford’s Hoover Tower! What more could you ask for?

x

2. Fourth Street

Fourth street is arguably one of the best places to study. The 51B takes you directly there, but it’s far enough away that it feels like a little getaway. It isn’t as infested with students as most of the other coffee shops in the fine city of Berkeley are, and while you might have to drop $6 on a latte from Artis or Cafe Reveille, I can wholeheartedly say it is worth it. Grab a few friends and go on a day where you have an entire morning or afternoon free. I promise you won’t regret it! Plus, there’s a few blocks of fun stores and shops that make for the perfect study break.

3. Drake’s Dealership

While the Bay is overall fairly known for its food, I can confidently tell you that Drake’s is one of the most fun places to grab a bite (and a drink if you’re 21 at). Their pizza, salad, and french fries are all to die for, as is the atmosphere. There is inside and outside seating, with string lights and comfy chairs being the highlight of the patio. It is always a fairly young crowd and usually busy, making it a loud and lively spot to catch a bite at. Plus, it is the perfect excuse to head over to Oakland and explore how cool of a city it is in general.

x

4. A San Francisco Rooftop

I don’t think I could ever say enough good things about the city of San Francisco, but our proximity to all it has to offer is unreal to me. Whether you climb onto a roof of one of your graduated friends’ apartment buildings, sneak into the downtown Google office, or hit up a rooftop bar, I vehemently believe that a San Francisco rooftop is a must do. Somehow, whatever view you stumble across is beautiful. Whether it’s the city skyline, the water, or some of the many parks, you’ll be nothing short of stoked that you checked this off of your bucket list.

x

5. Visit Pacifica

While Pacifica is a tad harder to get to than the other recommendations I have given, it is beyond worth it. First of all, they have a Taco Bell right on the beach. If that is not enough to convince you, their quaint beach town vibes, incredible hikes, and even better views might help. It is just south of San Francisco, but seems like it is apart of an entirely different world than than the busy hustle bustle of the rest of the Bay Area. Perfect for the long weekend coming up!

Whether any of these suggestions seem exciting to you, I highly encourage that you make your own bucket list, and be sure to check everything off the list. It is so important to take advantage of the incredible location our wonderful university sits on. Happy bucket listing and Go Bears!

Annie Hatton

Author: Annie Hatton

My name is Annie Hatton, and I am a third year majoring in Legal Studies here at the incredible UC Berkeley. My life as a golden bear is busy and fantastic; whether its teaching the DeCal on human rights, serving as president of my sorority, or giving tours, I have enjoyed every minute of my time here at Cal. I am originally from Orange County, but because of these few years I am absolutely certain that I never want to leave the Bay. Most importantly, I am an avid dog lover - and to prove it I have eight dogs back home.