My Favorite Ways To Get Outdoors

Tis the season: midterms, papers, and projects. The end of the school year is starting to set in, and it is increasingly easier to get locked inside studying or, if you are like me, enjoying one too many episodes of the Blacklist beforehand. Below are some of my favorite ways to get outside and not get too familiar with the inside of Mainstacks. 

1. Ice skating in Union Square

If you are willing to travel a little bit, ice skating is a really fun way to take a break from Berkeley and get outside. A couple of weeks ago, my friend and I went into San Francisco to go ice skating, and it was one of my favorite things I have done this semester. Being from Connecticut, I grew up skating, so it was really nice to get a small taste of home. Also, the area around Union Square is really nice and there are lots of places to shop or get coffee, so I would highly recommend this if you have a little extra time and want an outdoorsy study break!

Kelly and I skating in SF!

2. Hiking the fire trails

Berkeley and Oakland both have so many different hiking trails to explore, so if you want to get outside I would highly recommend going for a hike. Hiking is a super great way to take a break and be active. Personally, I love the Fire Trails- they are scenic and refreshing (although there are some pretty steep spots along the way). Hiking with my friends is one of my favorite ways to destress here, so if you have not explored the trails around the area, it is definitely worth doing!

3. Hanging out on Memorial Glade

If you are not into being active or you do not want to travel, hanging out on Memorial Glade is perfect. There is so much to do, whether that be picnics, games, or just studying. I really like spending time on the glade because the views are nice with the campanile so close and it is a really nice spot to spend time with friends. One of my favorite things to do over the summer was go to Trader Joes and then walk up to campus and have a picnic on the glade. If you want a more relaxing break from being indoors, I think this is perfect. 

The end of the semester can always be a little stressful. With classes ending, there’s a lot to do and it can be easy to get caught in the chaos. However, I think nearing the end of the year is also an opportunity to find creative study breaks and check off semester bucket list items. These are some of my favorite ways to get outdoors, and I hope you enjoy them too!

Haley Stober

Author: Haley Stober

Hi everyone! My name is Haley, and I am a first year from Connecticut double majoring in Molecular and Cell Biology and Spanish. Outside of giving tours and writing for the blog I am part of a sorority, Crohn's and Colitis Awareness Society, Hillel, and Science in Oakland Elementary Schools. I'm excited to share my experiences with you, and as always go bears!