Staying on Campus During the COVID-19 Outbreak

On March 10th, all classes were moved online in order to further implement social distancing. It’s been a month since all in person classes were cancelled, and even longer since COVID-19 has been in the united states. For many of us, this is the first pandemic we’ve ever personally experienced, and it’s a scary time. Campus is dead silent. And it’s hard to be here without my friends, alone not only in my dorm but on an empty floor, but I know it’s the best choice for me.

The residence halls stand silently in what now feels like a ghost town, the once full streets stripped of their life. I was so used to falling asleep to the chatter of college students and night life, I find the silence unnatural. Every day seems grey and rainy here in Berkeley, but there’s a twinge of hopefulness amongst what would otherwise be a depressing situation.

Everyone is doing their part. We know that the best way to beat this virus is to social distance, staying inside and staying clean, and that’s what we’re doing. t can’t be denied, this sucks. But watching people coming together (metaphorically of course) and doing their part sparks a subtle inspiration that makes staying inside a little less hard.

In these dark times, it’s important to remember Fiat Lux. Let there be light. From the day I was accepted here, I’ve taken these words to heart, and now more than ever I find them so helpful.  It reminds me that this won’t be forever, that I along with everyone I care about can make it through this, and that it will come to an end. Now, there’s no way to say when or how this will all pass from us, but even the most far fetched optimism makes it all a little bit easier.

I know that this is easier said than done, it took me a month to start to have faith that we can make it through this, so I ask you, be optimistic for those around you who can’t. Spread some light through this darkness, support your friends and your family, and anyone who may need it. Whether you’re alone in a dorm room like I am or in a house with your family or working to support the world in these trying times, no one should be alone in the dark.

Let there be light. Fiat Lux.

Bridget Bernet

Author: Bridget Bernet

Howdy! My name is Bridget, I am a freshman here at UC Berkeley, intended to double major in philosophy and rhetoric. I love all forms of writing, which is why I decided to write for Bear Talk :) and I'm so excited to share my perspective on this amazing campus. I've only been here for one full semester so far, and I already know this place is my home. From cheering on the sports teams to studying in Moses Hall, every moment here is a special one, and I plan on documenting it all. Go Bears!