Berkeley, I Miss You

Berkeley, I miss you.

I miss the walk from Clark Kerr to campus every morning, even though it meant I had to wake up 15 minutes earlier than Unit kids. I miss those morning walks that had become peaceful, cathartic, and routine.

I miss walking out of class on a sunny day. I miss seeing every inch of Memorial Glade covered with students tanning, reading, throwing frisbees, and playing quidditch. I miss taking advantage of a single sunny day during a gloomy week.

I miss walking through campus. I miss seeing Doe Library, and the Campanile, and California Hall, and every other building on our gorgeous campus.

I even miss walking down Sproul and having flyers shoved in my face for some pre-med club that I’m neither qualified for nor interested in. I miss seeing that one man hula-hoop on Sproul every day.

I miss getting out of class and deciding to browse through vintage stores by myself (and always buying something even though I tell myself I’m not going to spend money today). Anastasia’s Vintage, I miss you.

I miss getting boba at the little bakery on Telegraph during my break between history and poli-sci class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I miss reading the dining hall menu, deciding it doesn’t sound good tonight, and taking the 79 bus down to Chipotle with my friends.

I miss living in the dorms. I miss my friends living just a building away. I miss being able to drop by my friends’ rooms unannounced and just hang out and talk for hours.

I miss Greek life. I miss being able to drop by the sorority house anytime I wanted. I miss the food our chef made, and not knowing what was for dinner until dinnertime.

I miss the sunsets. I promise you, nothing beats a Berkeley sunset.

I miss going to class. Even the classes I didn’t like, I miss going to them. I miss seeing my professors and other students in person rather than on a computer screen. I miss sitting in a lecture hall full of people.

I miss being a student at the #1 public university in the world. I know I still am, but it doesn’t feel like it quite as much.

Berkeley, I miss you, and I can’t wait to see you again.

.

Kalysta Garland

Author: Kalysta Garland

Hi! My name is Kalysta Garland, and I am an incoming sophomore at Cal majoring in Legal Studies and intending to minor in Human Rights. On campus I am a part of Greek Life and work as a Campus Ambassador.