What to Watch While Waiting to Move Back to Berkeley

Now that school has been out for about a month, I find myself with very little to do at home. Like most students, I am just itching to get back to Berkeley after 3 months away. I miss my home-away-from-home. But, of course, theres over 2 months until the Fall semester starts and we can all move back. That’s two months worth of Netflix, and Hulu and Amazon Prime to watch. Here are some of my recommendations for what to watch during the wait.

My first recommendation is the show that I am currently watching: Dear White People. The Netflix Original follows a group of black Ivy League students, one of which is a girl with a radio show called “Dear White People” where she talks about different black issues on campus. I decided to start watching this show after seeing recommendations on shows and movies to watch to educate yourself on the Black Lives Matter movement. Along with just being a great show, I think the contents of this show are really relevant to the current climate of our nation, and that a lot of people can benefit from watching it. Also, since it takes place at a college, it makes me excited to return to our own campus soon. After watching the entire first season in the last 3 days, I can say that I really recommend this show as something to watch while you’re waiting to get back to Cal.

My next recommendation is Atypical. This is another Netflix Original, and it follows an autistic boy through his ending high school years and the beginning of college. It’s a real sweet and feel-good show, which I think is something we could all use right now with all the bad things going on in the world. I would particularly recommend this to incoming students, as the main character Sam’s transition to college is something I found really interesting and relatable to watch. Even though Sam is autistic and goes through different challenges than many of us, it is easy to find relatable aspects of his journey with entering college. Even though I began watching this show a couple years ago and not during quarantine, I think it would be something I would enjoy even more if I was watching it before entering college, or during this particular time.

My last recommendation for what to watch while you’re waiting to move back to Berkeley is Parks and Recreation. I’m sure many of you have seen or at least heard of Parks and Rec, as it has been a super popular show over the years both when it was airing on TV to now as it is streaming on Netflix. I was late to join the Parks and Rec bandwagon, and just barely watched all 7 seasons over the last couple months in quarantine. The reason I would recommend this show right now is that it is so funny and optimistic, and optimism isn’t the easiest thing to find right now. Watching Parks and Rec helped me through this difficult time when I was feeling down, and I’m sure it is doing the same for others.

Those are my top recommendations for things to watch while we wait to get back to Berkeley! With only a couple months to go, I’m hoping some good old binge-watching can make the time go by a little faster.

Kalysta Garland

Author: Kalysta Garland

Hi! My name is Kalysta Garland, and I am an incoming sophomore at Cal majoring in Legal Studies and intending to minor in Human Rights. On campus I am a part of Greek Life and work as a Campus Ambassador.