My Life as a YouTube Travel Vlogger at Cal

What is this? A pile of macarons? It's actually a picture of the cover photo for my YouTube page last year.

This is a picture of my YouTube Banner for 2019-2020. I usually post my travel vlogs by seasons (ex. fall, winter, summer). I would produce and edit a large amount of videos to save those to post in a week's period. It's almost like a squirrel collecting nuts in preparation for hibernation LOL.

If you clicked on this post, then it means that my title worked! As a YouTuber, I need to constantly think of “Clickbait” titles that promote audience retention as well as constant viewership. Welcome to my first post as apart of the Bear Talk Bloggers team! I’m super excited to share my journey at Cal as well as how I was able to balance student life with my passion as a YouTube travel vlogger :). You might be wondering…how did I get involved in travel vlogging on YouTube? Is it because it’s the “trend?”

Well, the story goes back to the high school days…ahh the surreal teenage life. It was during the spring of junior year that I won the Japan Wizards Competition with my team. Because of our victory, the JWC organization sponsored us to go to Japan for FREE! However, there was a condition. They wanted us to produce a video that summarizes our trip. It was during this time that I picked up filming and video production as a side interest. This “condition” gave me the perfect opportunity to pursue vlogging on a professional level. It gave me an excuse to step out of my comfort zone and become the lead director on this film. As the director, I had the responsibility to translate our 7-day experience in Japan into a 10 minute video. During our trip, I captured as much footage as possible using my iPhone 7+ while experimenting with editing software (ex. hyperlapse, slow motion, music transitions, etc.). By the end of our trip, I condensed a 40-minute video into 9 minutes-an impossible feat that I never thought I would be capable of.

A few weeks after that trip, I started thinking…what if..what if I continued to do this? A wave of excitement got my mind rushing. I quickly made a spreadsheet of a series of topics that I could make a video about. And before I knew it, I started posting when I had free time. The entire process, from planning the video to recording and editing, was a thrill. Even though I wasn’t getting paid, I enjoyed every single second of it. This is the first true passion I had. When I got to Cal, I began filming my life there starting from Golden Bear Orientation. Every interaction and experience I had at Cal is documented in my vlogs. It is a physical memory that I can access at any time.

This is the reason why travel vlogging has played such an important role in my life. It has allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and be a public speaker as well as share all these amazing experiences at UC Berkeley with my family and friends. You might also be curious..how do you balance academics with YouTube? Think of it like any other passion! If you’re too stressed out about your coursework, then TAKE A BREAK and do the thing that you LOVE TO DO THE MOST! It will give your body a chance to relax and regenerate the energy to break down any obstacle :). You got this!

Want to see what club day looks like at Cal? Click on the Image!

Club Day at UC Berkeley!

Author: Vincent Ooi

HEY EVERYONE! I'm Vince, pleased to meet you. As an upcoming junior at UC Berkeley, I have plenty of tips as well as "extraordinary" stories to share with you....EXCLUSIVELY to those that read my posts. I will include life hacks that can help you excel in your years as a student at UC Berkeley or anywhere in the world. The experiences that I'm about to share with you will change your perspective on life as well as your days as a Golden Bear.